Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Just ON the Taconic


So, John and I were driving back to the city yesterday after watching the inauguration and, as usual, we took the Taconic.

There was nothing much to report from the parkway. The roads were quiet and it's always gorgeous when there's snow and it was a clear day, so, you know, the usual SPECTACULAR drive... but just north of the Poughkeepsie exit, I spotted what I thought was a cat on the side of the road. But as we got closer I realized it was a BOBCAT (Alive and well, not roadkill, mind you.)

Anyway, this brush with nature was pretty amazing (even if it was at, er, 55 miles an hour). And since I wasn't totally sure if it was a bobcat or catamount (I recently mistook a deer for a sheep), I searched the Internet and can confirm, yes...definitely bobcat.

As a by the way, it's bobcat hunting season (October 25 - February 15), but be careful, lest you be the one hunted (Forgive me, I'm reading Twilight at the moment).

No comments: